Journalists force Daily Star to drop "Daily Fatwa"
More censorship. Last night members of the National Union of Journalists "courageously resisted" the possibility of offending Muslims. From the Media Guardian (registration required):
The Daily Star last night pulled a page that mocked Muslim law by turning the tabloid into the "Daily Fatwa" following a newsroom revolt.The Press Gazette has also covered the story:
Management acted after the Daily Star's National Union of Journalists' chapel held a stop work meeting that produced a resolution condemning the page.
The page included a "Page 3 burqa babes special" showing a woman in a niqab, as part of a feature billed as "How your favourite paper would look under Muslim law".
The page also contained a blank editorial stamped with the words "censored" and "Allah is great" while across the top of the page were the words "no news no goss no fun".
A competition told readers to "Burn a flag and win a Corsa", while a picture of the US president, George W Bush, was accompanied by a caption "death to infidels".
At a hastily arranged stop work NUJ chapel meeting, staff voiced fears of violent reprisals and carried a motion that condemned the feature.
"This National Union of Journalists chapel expresses its deep concern at the content of page 6 in tomorrow's Daily Star which we consider to be deliberately offensive to Muslims," the motion read.
"The chapel fears that this editorial content poses a very serious risk of violent and dangerous reprisals from religious fanatics who may take offence at these articles. This may place the staff in great jeopardy. This chapel urges the management to remove the content immediately."
When staff protested about the page, editor Dawn Neesom had already left the office, leaving deputy editor Ben Knowles, who joined the paper from men's magazine Zoo in September, in charge.
Knowles pulled the page and replaced it with a story about the seven wonders of the modern world.
The NUJ general secretary, Jeremy Dear, said: "This was an outrageous and hugely irresponsible idea which fortunately our chapel courageously resisted and, in so doing, protected both the paper and its staff from possible serious repercussions.
"The union's code of conduct condemns this sort of gratuitous material which is likely to encourage discrimination and hatred in our society.
"We are calling on the Daily Star to act wisely and responsibly and put this moment of madness behind them for good."
The Daily Star had not commented in time for publication.
According to a source at the paper editors have not ruled out running the story tomorrow.Whatever the Daily Star chapel of the NUJ thinks, nobody has a right to be not offended. If you want to offer your support to the editors or tell the journalists what you think, here's the email address of the newsdesk:Update. Head office of the NUJ:courageous:
A Muslim journalist facing charges of sedition for advocating ties with Israel was recently attacked and beaten by a crowd in Bangladesh that allegedly included leading officials of the country's ruling party, The Jerusalem Post has learned.
Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury, editor of the Weekly Blitz newspaper, an English-language publication based in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka, was working in his office on October 5 when nearly 40 people stormed the premises.