Friday, September 22, 2006

Plus ca change

Via the excellent Newsbusters:
HANOI, Vietnam - Pham Xuan An, who led a remarkable and perilous double life as a communist spy and a respected reporter for Western news organizations during the Vietnam War, died Wednesday at age 79...

In the history of wartime espionage, few were as successful as An. He straddled two worlds for most of the 15-year war in Indochina as an undercover communist agent while also working as a journalist, first for Reuters news service and later for 10 years as Time magazine's chief Vietnamese reporter — a role that gave him access to military bases and background briefings.
Who'd have thought, eh?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Verity said...

Plus ça change ...

5:28 pm  
Anonymous Verity said...

Ooops! How crass! I didn't notice your headline! Abject apologies.

Maybe I should pretend I intended to write the whole thing: Plus ça change, plus ça la même chose.

Now I feel marginally less like an idiot.

5:41 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

I thought you were just being pedantic over my omission of the cedilla, Verity.

6:01 pm  
Anonymous Verity said...

Oh! I should have left well-enough alone. Another aphorism: never apologise; never explain.

6:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home