Thursday, May 25, 2006

English MPs supporting Trinidad?

Here’s a mischievous little EDM from David Marshall, Labour MP for Glasgow East:
BARR'S IRN-BRU AND JASON SCOTLAND 23.05.2006

That this House notes with pleasure and amusement that A.G. Barr and Co., the manufacturers of Scotland's other national drink, have signed up Jason Scotland who plays football for St. Johnstone and Trinidad and Tobago, to appear in jokey advertisements in the Barr's tradition, promoting Irn-Bru and Trinidad and Tobago's team in the World Cup in Germany; further notes that Trinidad and Tobago is the smallest country ever to reach the finals of the World Cup and that six of their squad play for Scottish clubs and several others play in England; and therefore wishes Trinidad and Tobago every success in all of their matches.
Trinidad and Tobago are, of course, playing against England.

I can understand Scottish MPs, and maybe even Dutch-born Rudi Vis, signing this but I’m surprised to see the names of English MPs Alan Meale (Mansfield, Labour), Ann Cryer (Keighley, Labour) and Peter Bottomley (Worthing West, Conservative). Do they really wish T&T every success in all of their matches? If so, they must want England to lose. Traitors!

(I would suggest an Irn-Bru boycott but I'm not sure if anyone in England actually drinks the stuff)

7 Comments:

Anonymous William said...

I can't imagine Rudi Vis signing this. He has been given every opportunity in England and should be grateful. The usual Dutch response to people of English origin who have opinions about the Netherlands is "als je het niet leuk vindt, rot dan op" (if you don't like it, piss off), or occasionally a smack in the face. After all, murdering a Brit or an Irishman rarely carries more than a sentence of four years - not even a pre-meditated double murder. As for the pathetic runts of English origin, they only encourage the perception of servility that puts those of us who are healthily assertive at a disadvantage.

1:49 pm  
Blogger Malcolm said...

I drink Irn-Bru !

3:23 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

William: I can't imagine Rudi Vis signing this.
But he did - first person to do so.

As for the pathetic runts of English origin, they only encourage the perception of servility that puts those of us who are healthily assertive at a disadvantage.
Too true.

Malcolm: I drink Irn-Bru!
Well stop it! (Until the World Cup's over, at least)

5:02 pm  
Anonymous William said...

>>William: I can't imagine Rudi Vis signing this.

>But he did - first person to do so.

Sorry DFH. I was being sarcastic. Poor form on my part. I suppose I've spent too many years amomg the self-aggrandizing Dutch: they of "gidsland" (guiding land).

5:39 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

Too subtle for me on first reading but I see it now. Sarcasm is good.

6:14 pm  
Anonymous William said...

It only just dawned on me, but the "head coach" of the Trinidad and Tobago team is a Dutchman, Leo Bennhakker. So our errant Dutchman Rudi Vis is doing his best to get cosy. I wonder if he always votes in our national interest, or whether his loyalties are divided. I certainly hope his immigration papers are in order, otherwise he'll have to be deported. We wouldn't want that now, would we?

11:37 am  
Anonymous William said...

Sorry - not Bennhakker, but Beenhakker (typo).

1:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home