Sunday, April 02, 2006

F**k off then.

Here’s BBC Radio Five Live presenter Aasmah Mir in her Sunday Herald column today:
SOMETIMES you dread something so much and with such passion, that by the time it actually happens, it’s not as bad as you envisaged. But there’s no under-estimating how excruciating the months of June and July are destined to be. England will go to Germany in search of the World Cup. And for a Scot working in England for a football-based radio station, it’s going to be nothing short of a living hell...

But it’s not just that I can’t support England. I’ll cheer on whoever is playing against them – and I mean whoever. This week I’ve been stifling my laughter in the office at England’s misfortunes in the one-day cricket series against India. Now if India were facing Pakistan, I’d be supporting the latter. But if it’s India versus England, my loyalties switch again
.
There’s a very simple solution, Aasmah. Quit your job and get a new one north of the border, preferably with a commercial radio station so English licence fee payers don't have to cough up for your wages.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clematis Fraud said...

I can see her point, DfH. On one hand, it is a case of Asian pride; on the other, she supports anyone but England.

Naturally, if I went into print and said that I would support England against Australia but would switch allegiances if Australia were playing Pakistan, that would be interpreted somewhat differently, possibly?

If Scotland were playing a team of murderous paedophiles, I would support the kiddie-fiddlers every time. It works both ways. :-)

What I would like to know who Aasmah will be supporting when England play Israel in the Euro 2008 qualifiers?

9:43 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

What I would like to know who Aasmah will be supporting when England play Israel in the Euro 2008 qualifiers?

Heh, tough call for her there I bet.

1:08 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

Yep. she can just fuck right off

12:50 am  
Anonymous alison said...

Yep. she can just fuck right off

12:51 am  
Anonymous alison said...

Errr. That was just in case you didnt hear me the first time.

12:52 am  
Blogger DFH said...

It reads even better second time.

9:39 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home