Thursday, March 23, 2006

March for Free Expression - Shameful Update

I'm fucking furious, me. I've just read this on the March for Free Expression website:
At the outset, we said that displays of the Danish cartoons would be welcome on Saturday. No, let me rephrase that: At the outset, I, Peter Risdon, said the cartoons would be welcome. I am going to take full responsibility for this. I now think that was a mistake.

In practice, Muslims who wholeheartedly endorse our statement of principle, as quoted below by Peter Tatchell in his superb essay, who abhor the threats made against Danish cartoonists and believe people should have the right to publish things they themselves find offensive or abhorrent would be UNABLE to come to our rally on Saturday, because to be surrounded by these cartoons, now, in the present context when the BNP are using them as a rallying point, would be intolerable.

So I now appeal to people not to bring the cartoons on T-shirts or placards.
I had no intention of turning up with a placard displaying the Danish cartoons. BUT I FUCKING WELL WILL NOW.

There was a slim chance my work would prevent me from attending on Saturday but by this morning I felt happy enough to buy my NON-REFUNDABLE, short-notice, insanely expensive rail tickets from North Yorkshire to London. I still have important stuff to do on Saturday morning AND Saturday evening, but I managed to get tickets which would allow me just enough time to dash from Kings Cross to Trafalgar Square, stay for the demo, and race back again to Kings Cross for the return journey. That's a 500 mile round-trip for a couple of hours in the capital.

Having read Peter Risdon’s post my first thought was - fuck it, money down the drain, stay at home, take time over my work and have a nice leisurely Saturday. But I’ve decided that I’m not wasting the tickets. I’m going to Trafalgar Square, and I’ll have the fucking cartoons on display. They were the catalyst for this demonstration and I intend to show solidarity with the cartoonists, journalists and publishers who now face each day with the prospect of murder.

Peter Risdon cites Tatchell’s “superb essay” in his defence. Yes, Tatchell makes many good points, but if the organisers of the march really think I, or many like me, promoted Saturday’s event because we were inspired by the prospect of hearing Mr Tatchell “assert the right to condemn British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan” then they were very much mistaken. I will attend on Saturday, even though I now know that Trafalgar Square will once again, for the umpteenth time this year, echo to the sound of our troops being condemned and Palestinian terrorists lauded, and God knows what else, but I will endure because that is free expression.

I won’t be fucking censored though, and I hope nobody else will. Join me.

11 Comments:

Blogger jonz said...

I've just seent that too. I felt a bit like I'd been stabbed in the back!!!

I was gonna go, and I'm still going. I saw your comment on there aswell, I tried but I think comments about to meltdown!!

7:07 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

Yeah, took ages to get my comment through.

See you there Jonz. Solidarity with Denmark!

7:16 pm  
Blogger jonz said...

Shout out to DFH ;) & Solidarity with Denmark >> http://ibloga.blogspot.com

7:34 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

Cheers Jonz.

8:02 pm  
Blogger DFH said...

The gauntlet has been thrown down by a poster at the MfFE website:

Bring all you tee shirts of Danish cartoons, Irans anti-semitic cartoons, Neo nazi propergander cartoons of jews and Jim crow cartoons....But you know what i don't think there will be any Irans anti-semitic cartoons, Neo nazi propergander cartoons of jews and Jim crow cartoons. because your all full of hypocrisy. THIS IS A ANTI MUSLIM AND ANTI ISLAM CROSS BURNING RALLY.

He’s right - it would be wrong just to show the Danish cartoons. We should display those Iranian anti-Semitic cartoons as well. That'll show us.

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whos laughing now that MAC has ruined your islamaphobeathon

http://muslim-action-committee.blogspot.com/

11:12 pm  
Blogger Rottweiler Puppy said...

You know what I think? I think we really need to vet our leaders more carefully.
'Could you just drop your trousers? Oh, but you don't seem to have any balls. Next!'

11:39 pm  
Blogger Charles Martel said...

i'm bringing a "free abu hamza" placard, and i'll be wearing a danish cartoon t-shirt.


that'll confuse the hell out of the MAB.

i'm an utter liberatarian when it comes to free speech - "incitement to murder" laws are bollocks... Abu Hamza was quoting from the friggin Koran - it's his religious interpretation of Koranic teachings.

so, like Voltaire, i seriously disagree with the guy , but i will defend his right to say it.

12:21 am  
Blogger Clematis Fraud said...

What if we bring placards displaying the cartoons but just blank out the faces of Mo? I could be, like, really offensive and carry a placard of Winnie-the-Pooh.

Maybe not. The cartoons are offensive to Muslims so let's execute a few apostates in Trafalgar Square instead. That's far more acceptable to the those in the 'Islamic World'.

9:35 am  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

What about censoring signs which read "Behead those who insult Islam"?

Arrogant Muslim bastards!

1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm ...if theyre going to bang on about the soldiers out of Iraq then im also going to fucking bastardise my t shirt to say 'I heart the Troops, keep kicking ass boys!'. See you all there.

4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home