Thursday, January 05, 2006

Suicide Bomber - The Movie

Mahesh Bhatt, the Bollywood director who is making a film about the London suicide bombers, was interviewed on BBC Radio Five Live today:
“I think it’s high time we stopped demonising the faith of 1.2 billion people. Islam as I understand it is a religion of peace and nowhere does it say that shedding blood is a form of worship, and I think this condescending, patronising attitude toward Islam, and towards the people who practise that faith by the world community is unacceptable to me.”
Yeah, whatever.

Bhatt said the film will be aimed at South Asia's "common man". Last year he gave an admirably honest insight into his film-making motives:
“However, at this stage in my life, I am only concerned about popular success. The box-office verdict is the only verdict I am seeking. I am not looking for critical acclaim. I don't want to mark reviews of my film and paste them in scrapbooks for my grandchildren to see. I am not looking for praise. I am looking for money, be it by fair or by foul means... Controversy brings things into focus and in a way proves to be profitable.”
Far be it from me to prejudge the film, but I don't think that relatives of the dead victims should get their hopes up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home